News & Events

 

Testimonials

 

Gwalior Diocese was erected on Feb. 9, 1999 by Pope John Paul II with territory taken from the Diocese of Jhansi. The vast extension of Jhansi Diocese did not favor adequate development of the areas and due to the dependence on two different civil administrations, the States of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh, the development of the diocese was limited. Besides, there were good prospects for evangelization among the tribal population.

The present church of St. John the Baptist was built by John Baptist Filose in 1828. Father Constant Fernandez, a Goan diocesan priest, was the first residing chaplain. He worked here from 1832 to 1844. In August 1844, Father Anastasius Hartmann, a German Capuchin, succeeded him. Father Anastasius worked 18 months in Gwalior. During his stay he opened a school for the education of poor children, established an industrial centre for the employment of young girls and widows, provided the station with a burial ground and education uplift of his flock. His whole idea was to make the Christians better, to get them to lead a real Catholic life.

The list of the chaplains in Gwalior is rather long. There were 33 chaplains from 1832 till it was dismembered from Agra Archdiocese (established in 1886) and added to the Diocese of Jhansi on July 5, 1954.

Father Joseph Kaithathara was appointed as the parish priest of St. John the Baptist Church Lashkar, Gwalior, in September 1996. On Feb. 9, 1999, he was appointed the first Bishop of Gwalior Diocese.